Friday, May 23, 2008

Jukebox Friday - Look outside the raincoats gone, say oh!

When I first heard this on our local "alternative" radio station, I liked it. Sometimes it is quite a simple formula to know when I will like a song.
For example, I like songs where I can clap (No Doubt, Sunday Morning // David Bowie, Space Oddity). This song fits into the fomula wherein I can go "ey ey ey ey" in a song. Ding! Instant winner.

However, this song has strikes against it. For one, I do not understand the lyrics at all:

Johanna drove slowly into the city
The Hudson River all filled with snow
She spied the ring on his honor’s finger
Oh oh oh

A thousand years in one piece of silver
She took it from his lily white hand
Showed no fear she’d seen the thing
In the young men’s wing at Sloan-Kettering

CHORUS
Look outside the raincoats gone, say oh!

His honor drove southward seeking exotica
Down to the Pueblo huts of New Mexico
Cut his teeth on turquoise harmonicas
Oh oh oh

I saw Johanna down in the subway
She took an apartment in Washington Heights
Half of the ring lies here with me
But the other half’s at the bottom of the sea


W. T. F.

Another strike against it is that I couldn't tell if the song was titled "Vampire Weekend" or "A-Punk" They both would be suitable song names and band names. I don't like to be confused. (Note: Likes shiny creepy things, no confusion) Until I figured out that the band name was Vampire Weekend and listen to more of their music, it was not worthy of Jukebox Friday. Now, I'm all set. I can simply ignore all the other confusing lyrics and enjoy the song. Plus it makes me think of punky little vampires running around for a weekend singing confusing lyrics. Hilarious.

Look outside the raincoats gone, say oh! Enjoy.

6 comments:

Lorraine said...

It's a song about fidelity (and infidelity), the scourge of AIDS and the need for the use of condoms.

Lorraine said...

I totally made that up.

Now I'm going to go listen to the song again because me likey.

Lorraine said...

Oh, and also, I just noticed your Twitter thing wondering if anyone liked your Jukebox Friday and I would like to say that I do and I have had similar thoughts about my own because it does seem to be a low comment day in general but you know what? Frak it. I like playing videos on Fridays and I think you like playing videos on Fridays so who cares what anyone else wants?

Now I'll leave for real. Oh, and would you please email me the recipe for sfoof because I want to make it.

Thank you.

sfoofie said...

Lorraine: You get bonus points for making up the meaning of the song. And using the word SCOURGE. And breaking your commentary into THREE comments. (Comments are exciting!) And joining me for musical Fridays. And the email has been sent. And, and, and, Have A Great Weekend!!

sageweb said...

I like your video...it was nice...I have a question though..how come your YOUtube videos are all pretty with colored border?

sfoofie said...

On youtube instead of just copying the "embed" code, click customize. Then pick the options and the embed code will change. Copy, paste, voila!

Happy weekend my twitter friend!